March 24, 2011

1/100 SMS AMS-129 Geara Zulu ver Angelo Sauper - Part 3

I know I have not updated in awhile - I have been encountering some significant set backs in the painting department. Moreso than usual because I've been trying some different techniques.

I have the philosophy: nothing ventured, nothing gained. Well that philosophy has cost me some time, but I don't really regret it, it was worth the time invested.

I tried doing a reverse wash on the wrist and chest pieces on this bad boy with different types of paint than usually are used, but these two paints I used don't work well for what's going on.

I used, in order of layers:

-Mr. Surfacer 1000
-Tamiya Custom Lacquer spray paint can
-Tamiya Acrylic Black (First gloss, then semi-gloss, then flat, all yield the same result)
-Then used Tamiya acrylic thinner and a tip to wipe away the black paint to let the white paint shine through.

I had a glorious plan for a tutorial...

Tamiya Custom Lacquer spray paint can

(no pic of this)
Tamiya Acrylic Black (First gloss, then semi-gloss, then flat, all yield the same result)


Then used Tamiya acrylic thinner and a tip to wipe away the black paint to let the white paint shine through. Bad idea. Does NOT wipe cleanly, hard to come off, and eats through the custom lacquer paint can (I think it's acrylic paint with lacquer thinner), you can see the gray Mr. surfacer coming through in areas.


I used lacquer thinner to wipe off all of the paint and I'll re-paint using the lacquer paint can, then spray black enamel and wipe it off with lighter fluid. Blah. Pics coming soon.

As of now though most parts are painted!




Just have to do the white trim now that the paint is stripped :)

No comments:

Post a Comment